Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Things I learned this week.

I don't claim to be the smartest person, but I love to learn. I always really liked school and college, and I even like those boring "continuing education" seminars occasionally required for my job. I think my parents instilled that love of learning in me at a very young age and I really appreciate that. So it is with (mostly) delight that I share some of the things I learned this week:
1) Tommy loves to sing. We already knew that he loved music and dancing, but singing is a new development. I happened to walk past him as he was watching "Jack's Big Music Show" the other day and noticed a very quiet "la,la,la - oh, yeah. La,la,la - ba bum!" It stopped me in my tracks when I realized it was Tommy's sweet little voice. I spent the next five minutes or so, listening to him sing along with the television. Since then, we have daily singing time. Tommy sits facing me on my lap, and we make up songs and sing to each other. This is one of those great things about being a parent.
2) Michael loves to read. I have always loved to read, so I am thrilled that Michael seems to enjoy it as well. He can be found at almost any time of day, sitting quietly "reading" his books. This past week he has spent even more time with his books. It makes me smile to watch him bypass all the noisy, flashing, spinning toys and sit flipping through Somebunny Loves Me, or Bubbles Bubbles, or 101 Dalmations. And wouldn't you know it "Book" is his new favorite word. Putting everything on hold to snuggle up with your child and read about the adventures of Dumbo is another great thing about being a parent.
3) 16 months old is not too late to develop your very first ear infection. Who knew? Both boys have had a cold for about a week now. Tommy seemed to be recovering well, while Michael was getting worse and worse. After 36 hours of constant crying (yes, I said constant), no sleeping and no eating - I took Mikey to the doctor. Turns out that he has double ear infections. Neither of the boys has ever had one before so I just assumed that by now, they never would. Wrong! I feel terrible that we didn't take him in sooner, but at least now I know what to look for! One of the great things about being a parent? Not so much!
4) It's still possible for me to function on two hours sleep. And here I thought I'd left those newborn days behind! :)

post signature

1 comment:

Erin said...

2 hours?! I hope that's just because of the ear infections, and not a life sentence! We just went on a trip to Disneyland, and we had an emergency room trip in the middle of the first night there because Ben had an ear infection. And Eric got a really bad ear infection in basic training at age 20. AND, Ben was actually born with double ear infections. So I guess there's no such thing as too early or too late for that!