Imp - noun
1)a little demon
2)a young devil
3)a mischievous child
Coincidence that this word can be used interchangeably with a demon and a child? I think not! In the past couple of weeks, our once sweet angel boys have been referred to as: Imps, Beasts, Fiends, Rogues, Monsters, Demons, Rascals, and - Kamaki's personal favorite - Hell Spawn. I can not fathom what foul change has occurred in their small bodies to have brought on such chaos, but I can tell you that I did not expect this for at least another six months!
It is obvious that they are beginning to test the boundaries of their world and as a result, my world is coming crashing down.
There are tantrums over the color of cup, plate, bowl, shirt, ball, or car they are given.
There are tantrums over books, toys, blankets, and stuffed animals. The item in possession is never quite as good as the one your brother has, even if it is the exact-same-item.
There are tantrums over food. Oh, are there tantrums over food! We are lucky if they eat half of what they are given and if the other half doesn't end up on the floor, or the walls, or us. Our dog Ruby has never been so well fed.
It is entirely possible that I have permanent hearing damage from the astonishing volume and pitch of screams that you wouldn't think possible coming from such a small body.
I have engaged in epic battles of will with both boys over things so incredibly important as whether or not they will be allowed to sit on my lap while eating their lunch, or how many blankets they are allowed to drag out of the closet and through the entire house.
I can't speak for Tommy and Michael, but I am exhausted. The scary part is, I know that this is only the beginning!
Despite all of these struggles however, I continue to be amazed at their sweet little spirits that come shining through at unexpected moments. How can these little boys cause me such frustration and such joy all at once? Obviously, our Heavenly Father knew what he was doing when he created toddlers to be as cute as they are. None of the little imps would ever survive otherwise! ;)


5 comments:
And you've only just begun...
Hopefully it's just a little short circuit, and not an early onset of terrible twos!
K, I hope I'm not dishing out unwanted advice here, and if I am, just ignore me! But maybe you could offer more choices? I don't know how well this would work with 2 who always want what the other has, but maybe if you asked what color of shirt or plate they wanted, they would be happier. Unless, of course, you have one like mine who changes their mind as soon as they have the object and they have a tantrum because their own choice isn't what they really wanted!
Also, I am myself finally learning the meaning of "CHOOSING YOUR BATTLES!" With a 2-year-old, you obviously can't give in on issues like safety, etc, but I figure, if they change their shirt 4 times or drag out all the blankets, who cares? At least their having a happy childhood!
Ok, that's my rant for the day.
AMEN! and that's all I'm sayin':)
Oh my!!!! I know exactly what you are talking about!! Let me just say from experience that having 2 at the same time is more than double the challenge of one toddler at a time. But I can also tell you there will come a day that you will actually MISS this age. Soak it up and take lots of aspirin lol and enjoy every minute!!!
Post a Comment