Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Stubborn, stubborn, stubborn!

Today was the big day. Our 20 week ultrasound. I have been waiting for this day for weeks now and I was wide awake at 4:00 this morning, buzzing with anticipation. We dropped the boys at the sitters' and made our way to the new doctor's office bright and early this morning. I couldn't believe that today was the day we would finally know if a son or daughter was joining our family!

Turns out, today was not that day after all. While the baby appears to be perfectly healthy and normal (measuring a week ahead even!), the baby also seems to be the most stubborn little toad on the planet. Forty-five minutes we spent trying to get this little one to un-cross it's legs and give us a peek at the "goods". Both the sonographer and the perinatalogist tried wiggling the wand back and forth, I tried laying on my left side, then on my right side, they lowered the bed so that my head was inches from the floor while my feet were six feet off of it, then righted the bed and tried elevating my head instead. Nothing worked. Those little legs were sealed tight.

Not only were we unable to determine boy or girl, the little dear kept it's hands covering it's face nearly the entire time as well!

I won't lie - I was very, very disappointed. Such a build up, to be seemingly so let down. But I've had a couple hours to come to terms with the fact that, while I'm going to try my hardest to get in for another ultrasound soon, we may not know the sex of this baby until the birthday. The truly important thing is that there is no cause for concern and there's still only one baby!

The sonographer said that if he had to guess, he would say it's a girl, but only because he couldn't see any boy parts - not because they could confirm girl parts. The perinatalogist said she really wasn't comfortable telling us one way or the other. Kamaki is convinced it's a girl. He said that the refusal to uncross legs and the hands over the face in a "don't look at me" gesture, clearly implied girly diva behaviour. I'm not so convinced.

So stay tuned - there may possibly be a future update on the triumph of discovery, or there may not. Either way, here are a couple ultrasound pics that are keeping me excited at the moment.

Profile pic:


Stubborn hand over the face:


Kinda creepy, yet kinda cool 3D pic of hands covering face, yet again:

3 comments:

Bethany said...

That is such a freaky 3-D picture! I'm not sure how I feel about those! :) Think how cool it would be to be surprised on delivery day. I kind of always wanted to wait to find out, but I can't stand not knowing. So enjoy not knowing. It'll be cool. Promise!

teamkyte said...

Look at that camera shy little angel!!! So modest! I hope you can get another US done before the baby gets here!!! Maybe you will just have another big surprise delivery lol!

Janice said...

I have a hard time with those 3D ones, but it's kinda cool what they can do. Surprises are always good!:)