Friday, May 14, 2010

How an interview with a vampire changed my life.


Back in 1999, my sister and I were cruising the mall so I could look for a second job. It happened to be Halloween and as Bethany and I passed by Musicland, we noticed that all the employees were dressed in costume and thought what a fun place to work it would be. Then I noticed the super hot vampire behind the counter and we hightailed it inside to ask for an application.

As you may have guessed, that vampire was Kamaki. But I never would have guessed way back then that the vampire I was interviewing with was the man that would become my husband. It's funny how life works isn't it?


Our wedding day was a glorious sunny day that couldn't have been more perfect.

Except that I developed a nervous twitch as I walked down the aisle and I could not stop blinking. It wasn't Kamaki standing at the end of that aisle that caused my nerves though. I was marrying my best friend and there was no fear in that.

It was the fact that I had to stand up in front of all those people who were staring at me. Not only that, but I had to walk in a very long gown right through the middle of them, praying I didn't trip. I am not the most graceful person and the thought of doing a face plant in my wedding gown was enough to make my knees tremble. Once I got to Kamaki and he took my hands in his, all that anxiety melted away.

He has always been my rock.

My family is Norwegian and there is an old Norwegian wedding custom that involves a dinner plate. The happy couple dance to a lively jig while the bride tries to balance a plate on her head.

When the plate falls, the number of pieces that it is broken into will be the number of children the couple welcomes into the world.

Our plate broke into 12 pieces. That's right - 12. And you better believe every superstitious bone in my body was screaming with panic the day we found out we were having twins. We were well on our way to those 12 kids now!

So far we have been blessed with three wonderful children and I thank my Heavenly Father for them every day. They are a joy to be around and Kamaki is everything that I could ever wish for in a father.



Today, Kamaki and I celebrate our fifth wedding anniversary.

I often reflect on what a lucky and blessed woman I am to be married to my husband. He is a rare find this day and age. He is a gentleman, and a true "good guy". He does not shirk responsibility and he has his priorities firmly in place. He is a family man and he treats me like the princess my Dad always told me I deserved to be. We have been through a lot in our five years of marriage, and I know there is much more to come, but I can not imagine another person I would rather go on this journey with than my best friend.

2 comments:

Jennifer Uribe said...

By far, the best blog post title ever! I've always known you were beautiful, but these pictures are beyond gorgeous.

Congratulations to you and K! May there be many, many more years to come!

Bethany said...

Lots of comments.
#1 Happy Anniversary! Dang, I hate being late.

#2 There are no such thing as green roses. :)

#3 I died a little bit when I saw how little my kids were.

#4 You and Kellie look the same now as you did then, but I looked way younger, which means I look old now. Daminit.

#5 Very impressive that you got yourself tan enough that you didn't look pasty next to Kamaki.

#6 Yer Purty.

#7 Mushiest blog post I've ever read! :)