A few years ago, my mother-in-law happened to give me several cookbooks for Christmas. I was thrilled to discover The Alpha Bakery among them. It was an instant flashback to my childhood and I couldn't wait for my children to be old enough to enjoy it.
Last week, I decided the boys were ready to give it a shot. Thinking ahead to when I have to return to work in a few weeks, I thought it would be a great idea to work through the entire cookbook, doing one recipe a week, and give us something special to do together on the weekends when I am home.
We started at the beginning with A is for Apple Crisp. I peeled and sliced the apples, but the boys did almost everything else themselves. They used my chopper tool to help me chop up the nuts, they dumped ingredients in the bowl and mixed them up, and they certainly loved tasting the final product - with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream of course! I'm not a big fan of apples, but this dish was very tasty. The crisp on top was total comfort food and the apples were warm and tangy - very tasty indeed.



There was definitely a mess to clean up, but we had so much fun that it didn't matter at all. I think this is going to be a great project for us and I can't wait for next week!
Apple Crisp*
4 medium peeled cooking apples, sliced
3/4 cup of Gold Medal all-purpose flour
3/4 cup of packed brown sugar
1/2 cup of quick-cooking or regular oats
1/3 cup of chopped walnuts
1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1/2 cup of margarine or butter, softened
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Spread apple slices in an ungreased 8-inch square pan.
3. Mix remaining ingredients with fork; sprinkle over apples.
4. Bake uncovered until the topping is golden brown and apples are tender, about 30 minutes.
Makes about 6 servings.
*All recipes are taken from the Gold Medal Flour children's cookbook Alpha-Bakery. You can obtain a copy by writing to:
Gold Medal Alpha-Bakery Children's Cookbook
PO Box 5119
Minneapolis, MN 55460-5119
(Enclose $2.00 for each copy)


4 comments:
Your boys look so grown up and proud of themselves in those pictures! IS the last one Tommy on left, Michael on right?
Love the post, can't wait to see more, now I'm going to write away for my own copy, cause I loved that book, too! Can't wait for the lemon squares!!
Sorry, the last pic is Michael on the left, Tommy on the right. :)
You are such a fun mom! You guys are always doing the cutest things. Like you said, that's the kind of thing kids remember forever. Good luck on "S is for Souffle" week! ;)
Oh yes! I am SOOOOOO doing this next year with all of my kids!
Post a Comment