Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Day At The Zoo!


Or more appropriately - The Day We Became An Attraction At The Zoo!

Having been some time since we ventured out in public as a family, I had been lulled back into the naive assumption that we are just like every other family. Two minutes after we left our car, before we even made it to the ticket booth, I realized my mistake.
"Look at the twins!"
"Oh, how adorable - twins!"
"Wow - you've got your hands full!"
"Are they twins?"
Echoed through the parking lot as we made our way to the gate. This should have been my first clue, but we were determined to show the boys, and ourselves, a good time. So we pressed onward! I quickly began to tune out all the random comments and enjoy myself. It's not often we get to spend a Saturday doing something other than running errands and I wanted us all to enjoy it. Michael and Tommy were both enthralled by the animals - when they moved. Unfortunately, most of the animals were perfectly content to sit very still. Luckily, the throngs of other children squealing excitedly kept our little monkeys entertained. The under water exhibits were a big hit as sea lions, salmon, otters and polar bears swam around and put on a show. The best part for the boys though, had to be the goats. While I was wary of actually letting them "pet" anything in the petting zoo, I was just fine with parking the stroller as close as possible to the fence and letting the goats stick their heads through as far as they could manage! Tommy and Michael both got a kick out of that and would have been thrilled to play with the goats like they do with our dog, Ruby. Maybe next time.

We had a very nice lunch on the big lawn and the boys' had their first taste of elephant ears - yummy! After that one little taste, we had to fight them off of us. Eleven month old babies can be surprisingly strong! As the day began to wind down and the boys' eyes grew heavier, we decided to call it a day. Not soon enough though.
As we made our way back to the gate, I heard a woman shout, "Look at the cute twins, look at them!" Of course, everyone in a 300 ft. vicinity turned to stare at us, but the woman wasn't done yet! She started shouting frantically for her kids to come look at the twins. We started to walk faster. As she realized her kids weren't going to make it in time to see the boys, yes, she starting running. She was dragging her poor children after her, and we walked even faster. I'm not sure at what point she gave up (I was afraid to turn around and look) but eventually the commotion grew quiet and finally, was gone.

I'm not sure when I will muster up the courage to take our sideshow back to the zoo, but I know that when we do return, I'm going to tell the employees that we do not need to pay admission - we are the newest exhibit!
*Be sure to check out all the fun pics below*


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it! How wonderful to have this so we can see all your crazy antics. I really don't like living far away from all of you. :(
But we'll see you soon - YIPEE!
Hugs and Kisses to you Kamahaku's!
Mom & Nana

Nani said...

Love it Nat! You write so eloquently! We are very excited you have started this ...now we can stay up to date on the wonderful and exciting things the boys and your family does! Very exciting!

Love us

Erin said...

I absolutely love your family picture - so darling. I hope you keep up with the blogging thing. I'm excited to keep up with you and your adorable boys!