Monday, June 8, 2009

Reflections on a cookie

The boys and I were at a grocery store the other day whose bakery gives out free cookies to children. On this particular day, they were un-frosted (thank you wise bakery ladies) sugar cookies topped with red, white, and blue sprinkles. Both boys were pleased as punch when presented with the cookies and even offered a shy "thank you" to the baker. That is where the similarities stopped.

I watched with amusement as Tommy attacked his cookie with an appetite that can only be compared to a ravenous hyena, frantically trying to eat his meal as quickly as possible before the rest of the pack shows up to claim their share. It took about 30 seconds before the cookie was entirely consumed. That is not to say, however, that the cookie had been entirely eaten. Rather, it was all safely stored in his chubby little cheeks where it stayed for most of the shopping trip.

Michael, on the other hand, was very meticulous in his method. He chose to pick off each individual sprinkle and eat them one by one. He took his time - savoring each sprinkle and giving it the attention that he clearly thought such a sweet treat deserved. Such a feast takes time to appreciate of course, so it wasn't until we had finished our shopping trip and pulled into our garage that I was presented with a completely whole cookie that had been stripped of all sprinkles. That was all he wanted - the cookie was no longer desirable!

To the casual observer, this would be no more than an amusing anecdote. To me, this was a very obvious display of their completely different personalities.

Tommy attacks his food, toys, dog, loved ones - life - with a kind of wild glee. Every situation is life and death. Tantrums are epic. Squeals are ear-piercing and reminiscent of an ancient battle cry. But there is a softer side to him too. One that likes to be held - and held tight! One that gives fierce kisses. One that helps pick up toys. One that would love to be rocked to sleep every night.

Michael takes a more laid-back approach to all things he is confronted with. He knows what he wants, and he will wait quietly until he can get his little hands on it, or work out a scheme to secure it. He is more selective with his toys and will sit quietly looking at the same book for what seems like forever in toddler time. He is very patient and usually very calm. But there is also a side of him that is constantly surprising me. Whenever I think I have him figured out, he will do something so unexpected that I sit there shaking my head in amazement.

One sensitive tornado.
One unpredictable observer.
Two who I couldn't love more.

Yes - I got all of this from a trip to the grocery store. It's scary in my head sometimes. :)

post signature

4 comments:

Jennifer Uribe said...

Natalie, I could have written this post about Gracie and Luke! Tommy and Luke are exactly the same about everything they do. While Gracie and Michael are similar. Lukie does everything like the world will end in 30 seconds and Gracie just takes her time. It is amazing!

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one with opposites!

Bethany said...

You are going to make me cry! I miss your boys so much! Well, you too, but, you know... I love that you appreciate them both so much. Give them kisses for me! (And then move out here.)

Janice said...

I"m so impressed that you got that all from grocery shopping. I'm impressed that you went grocery shopping with the two of them to begin with. That was "my time" when my twins were little...grocery shopping alone:)

teamkyte said...

Sounds like my duo! They are so different!!!