Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The ER - take two

The boys were home with Kamaki again yesterday, and it was from my dear husband that I got a frazzled phone call around noon. Here's a summary of how that call went:

Kamaki - I had a little scare just now and I'm a little worried to tell you about it.
Me - Please do.
Kamaki - Well, I had to go to the bathroom - I was only in there for a minute, I swear - and when I came out Tommy had climbed up into a drawer and gotten into some screws - I didn't know they were there I promise - and I fished about six of them out of his mouth, but......... I can't tell if he swallowed one.
Me - How big was the screw?
Kamaki - About a half inch.
Me - Was it pointed?
Kamaki - Yes.
Me - Calling the doctor. I'll call you back.

Let me be clear in stating that I do not blame Kamaki at all - this could easily have happened to me or anyone else. Still, not a call anyone wants to get. Of course, their pediatrician wanted him in the ER for x-rays right away because if Tommy had in fact swallowed the screw, there is the possibility that it could puncture something or that it may contain lead. So, for the second time in less than two years, I took my son to the emergency room.
After several hours of waiting around, multiple x-rays, and several near panic attacks on my part, it was determined that Tommy had not swallowed a screw. I was, and still am, so grateful for that. At some point, one of the nurses had started to describe the "procedure" that would be used to extract the screw, and I know I would not have been strong enough to endure that yesterday! All ended well, and I am happy to report that the screws have been removed to a better location. Who knows what they will happen upon next week....
One more closing note - To the staff of the ER:
I realize that you are all highly educated and intelligent individuals, but perhaps no one has alerted you to the fact that it is incredibly difficult to keep a 21 month old toddler occupied in a room the size of a closet for three and a half hours. Add to this difficulty the tantalizing and surprisingly accessible placement of highly fragile medical equipment in a pediatric ward and the fact that I was not allowed to give my son any food or drink until the x-rays (which took five minutes) were analyzed, and I am sure it will become clear to you why the occupant of Exam Room 9 screamed for three of those three and a half hours. My son was pretty upset as well. :)

post signature

4 comments:

Bethany said...

So much sympathy for you right now. That stinks. Glad it turned out well though!

Erin said...

I'm so glad he's ok!! I knew when I had 3 boys that the ER would be a regular destination for us! Our new trampoline had been up for less than a week when we were in the ER because Josh fell (was pushed) off and broke his arm. And it was less than a week later that we were back there after he pulled the cast off his arm! And I'm sure there's more 'adventures' to come...

Mama Snyder said...

So scary! I would have lost my mind - I'm glad everything is alright

your favorite sister said...

I am just figuring out how to comment without using my google account. Sorry to experiment on your page. Please delete this, when you can. :)