My first example of this, was my boys' preferred choice of entertainment over the weekend. We were at Kamaki's parent's place for the annual Labor Day Luau and we decided to take the boys' tricycle/big wheels out with us. I was forced to watch with dismay and dread as both Tommy and Michael raced down the hill at dare-devil speeds, then plummeted off the two foot embankment at the bottom. All the while, they were squealing and screaming, followed by a shouted "BOOM" as they hit the bottom of the embankment. Then they were off to do the whole thing over again. This was not good for my nerves, but they were having such a great time that I couldn't bring myself to stop them. So I continued to hover and cringe, visions of another ER trip floating through my head, but finally putting my foot down when Tommy tried to go over the embankment backward.
I just kept thinking - what happened to my babies? My babies wouldn't be hurtling themselves at break-neck speed down a hill, and they certainly wouldn't be enjoying it!
Example #2: Yesterday morning as we were driving around, we passed a very large blow-up dinosaur outside a car dealership. The boys were ecstatic and I was treated to a chorus of "DINE-SA-SORE! DINE-SA-SORE! ROAR!!" all the way home. Much, much later that day I decided that the boys had finally fallen asleep. But that was not the case. Out of the blue, I overhead Tommy say "Dine-sa-sore!" and Michael answered with "ROAR". Then peals of giggles, then switch roles and repeat. I could hear the springs on their cribs bouncing as the "dinosaurs" stomped around. I looked at Kamaki with wide eyes and said "They're playing dinosaur in there!"
I had flashbacks of my own childhood, when despite repeated warning from our parents, my sisters and I would stay up far past our bedtime talking, telling secrets, and giggling. It was a wonderful bonding time for us, and it made me smile to think my boys were begining to form a true sibling relationship. But it also made me realize that my babies are growing up.
I think I can be okay with that. Maybe.


3 comments:
All of that just sounds like too much fun! I can't wait to see them! Think they'll let me ride their big wheels?
I miss having such young ones around. Everything is new and exciting, an adventure. No doubt you'll have plenty more to come. enjoy!
That is why I quit putting my girls down for a nap...I feared I would have to buy new mattresses far too soon! So cute - ROAR!
Post a Comment