I've been in a festive fall mood lately. I couldn't very well post this entry with a backdrop of palm trees and little surfer boys, so in the spirit of the season, I decided to go for a new look.
Fall has always been my favorite season. Spring is a close second, but nothing compares to the beauty of a canopy of ever-changing, beautiful fall foilage or snuggling up with loved ones and some hot chocolate on a crisp fall night. I've always been more of a sweater gal than a bikini babe, so cooler temperatures are a welcome relief for me. The smell of baking cookies or homemade bread and soup filling my home is something that will lift my spirits any day.
But one of my most favorite things about fall is our annual trip to the pumpkin patch on Sauvie Island. The drive itself is a treat as you wind through small towns on tree-lined streets blanketed with falling leaves. Crossing over the Willamette river on a quaint two lane bridge, driving along the tree covered hillside, then winding through the farms on the island always reminds me of the song my Mother used to sing "Over the river and through the woods, to Grandmother's house we go..."
Excitement builds as we near the patch, and this year, I wasn't alone in that excitement. At the first sight of the little orange orbs, Michael and Thomas started yelling "Punkins!!! Punkins!!" They could hardly wait to get out of the car. Auntie Nani and Cousin Makana were with us this year too,
and it was wonderful to have the extra help reigning in the two little boys.
Our first stop had to be the animal barn. Each stall held a different surprise for the boys, but their favorite were the chickens. They squated down, as close as they could get, and started a conversation with those chickens. "Bawk, bawk, bawk, bawk." they squaked. I think they would have been content to stay there all day - if it weren't for the draw of the tractor. Oh, the tractor!
For about a week, the boys had associated the word "tractor" with the pumpkin patch. Why? Well, because I told them they would get to go on a tractor ride at the pumpkin patch. From that point on, their poor little heads were spinning in a cycle of Punkins and Tractors.
Playing on some old farm tractors while we waited our turn for the hay ride:
Finally, it was our turn to climb up on the hay ride. Huge grins plastered their faces and they insisted on sitting on the hay bales all by themselves - with me in very close reach.
Michael and Daddy getting settled for the ride:
After reaching the pumpkins, everyone was off, chasing after that perfect squash.
The boys succeeded in finding several that met their approval, unfortunately, they were about the same size as the boys!
We convinced them that if they chose a smaller pumpkin, they would be able to carry it themselves - and that's all it took.
Back on the tractor we went with pumpkins in tow, and headed back to the car.
We all - that's right, even Kamaki - very much enjoyed this year's visit to the pumpkin patch, and the boys are already talking about going back. I can't wait!


2 comments:
I miss it! You all look so cute and I'm glad you had fun. Are the boys going to carve their punkins?
Looks like so much fun!!!! I am taking the girls on Friday morning!
Post a Comment