Thursday, October 15, 2009

Since when do butterflies have eight legs?

The boys watch Barney every morning while we get ready to start our day. It keeps them happy and busy while I am running around gathering clothes, lunches, and the necessities for the day - so who am I to complain?

Yesterday, Barney and his little friends were singing a song about butterflies. Or maybe there were just butterflies in the song somewhere, I'm not really sure as I wasn't exactly watching attentively. All I know is the boys kept shouting "Butterfly! Butterfly!" And I would respond with "Yes, butterfly!" from the kitchen as I hastily made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

About five minutes later, I was getting Tommy dressed and Michael came up next to me holding his little hand in a fist and said "Mama, Butterfly!" He wouldn't give up until I reached out my hand to accept whatever offering had reminded him of the butterflies.

Into my hand dropped one of the biggest spiders I have seen in recent days - and it started skittering up my arm.

"Yeeeeoooooowwwwwwwaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!" ripped from my mouth as I flung the horrid, hairy thing to the ground and proceeded to beat it to a pulp with the dirty diaper I had just removed from Tommy. Death by diaper - very suitable for a gigantic killer spider in my opinion.

The boys, however, were not so impressed with my quick thinking. In fact, they were quite upset that I had crushed their "butterfly". It took quite a bit of sweet talking to convince them that the "butterfly" was just sleeping and going back to nap at his house in the garbage can.

Perhaps I could have handled the situation better, but the fact that my son had happily picked up a very large, live spider and handed it to me as if presenting me with the greatest gift ever was too much of a shock for me to think clearly.

It's obvious that I'm going to have to develop a thicker skin and stronger stomach in order to survive these boys.

post signature

4 comments:

teamkyte said...

IIIICK!!!!! I will never react "properly" to a child me handing me a spider....never!

Jennifer Uribe said...

I would have done exactly the same thing!

Bethany said...

That is horrifying. That's even worse than the time that Mom sent Cameron home with a colony of various bugs in a jar with plastic wrap over the top held in place with a rubber band and Drew got hold of it and let them lose in the house. Least I didn't have any of them in my hand! Yuck!

Janice said...

I had to admit that this post made me smile and I invisioned the whole scene:) don't you just love little boys?