Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Mourning nap time

Over the past few weeks, Michael and Thomas have started refusing their nap. It started out slowly, with a nap taken one day and a fight to the tears over it the next.

We begged. We prayed. We coerced. We yelled. We cried. But in the end - nothing worked. It appears that naps are very quickly becoming a wonderful dream of the past.

Nap time (as I'm sure most of you will agree) is a very special time for the parent of any toddler. It's especially important in the world of a stay at home Dad who also happens to be a full time student - like Kamaki. He has been using this treasured one to two hours a day to do his homework, or just take a much needed break from the chaos of two two year olds. I use this time on the weekends as my one chance to run errands sans children. It's amazing how quickly and how much you can get done when you don't have to haul strollers and crackers and sippy cups around.

Both Kamaki and I feel the loss of this time deeply. Even more so because we will soon have a new baby added to the mix and peace and quiet will become the most precious commodity of all.

I know we will eventually adapt to our new situation, as all parents must adapt to the needs of their growing children - I had just hoped we wouldn't have to do it so soon.

In the meantime, we will continue to count our blessings each time a miracle does occur and (after much playing, fighting, screaming and giggling) the boys actually sleep.

6 comments:

Jennifer Uribe said...

Oh, Nat! I so understand! I swear I will drive my car as far as needed as long as Gracie and Luke sleep for an hour so my brain can rest.

I love that picture!

Bethany said...

Such a sweet picture. :) And losing nap time is hard. There should be support groups or something.

Erin said...

I still am so sad that my kids stopped taking naps. It is very traumatic. And so rude! And yes, that is the sweetest picture ever.

teamkyte said...

None of my kids were great nappers...so sad! Super cute pic though!!!

Janice said...

are they really old enough to give up thier naps completely?! that can't be possible. Quiet time is the next step, but I admit it's hard when 2 share the same room:)

Katie said...

Nan, your boys are so cute! I'm sad we didn't get to see you guys while you were here. I had Brooklyn last week, and Katelyn seems to be headed in the same direction with her naps...I'm so sad! I feel your pain...half of it, at least!