Six weeks ago, doctors discovered a hole in my Dad's heart that was causing him to have mini-strokes. He had surgery this morning to repair the hole in his heart. Everything went great with the surgery and my Dad is on his way to a full recovery, but all of this caused me to think about family almost constantly over the past few weeks.
I read a book awhile ago called The Ultimate Gift (Jim Stovall). One of the quotes from this book that really stuck with me was this:
"Some people are born into wonderful families.
Others have to find or create them.
Being a member of a family is a priceless privilege which costs nothing but love."
There is such a precious truth in these words. It really hits home with me. I have been extremely blessed in my life to be surrounded at all times by loving family members and friends. And those blessings continued when Kamaki and I were married and I became a part of his wonderful family as well.
In this world, there are far too few people that have the unconditional love and support of their families. What a different place this would be if we were all surrounded by the type of family experience that we all deserve.
From my earliest memories, I knew I was loved. My parents taught me, played with me, encouraged me, and disciplined me - which I believe is definitely part of loving your child. Perhaps the hardest part. I never doubted their love or concern for me.
I fell back on that support more times than I can count and it has shaped who I am as a woman, wife and mother. Mr. Stovall is right - family is a priceless privilege, and mine has given me a wonderful example to live up to.


4 comments:
I have tears in my eyes - what a lovely post!
I love that quote! It's beautiful. We are so lucky to come from such a wonderful family full of amazing people who would do anything for us.
love the quote. so glad surgery went well! please give him our love!
Couldn't have said it better myself. I love you!
Post a Comment