Friday, May 7, 2010

The Good Boy Jars



We've had some bad behaviour lately. The boys are rating a 15 on a naughty boy scale of 1 to 10. Yes, there have been a lot of changes in our home and yes, they are two years old, but Kamaki and I were starting to lose our minds.

On her recent visit, my Mom commented that the twin factor is bigger than she first thought. After observing them for a few days, she noticed how they feed off each other and said "If there was just one of them, you would only have about a quarter of the situations that you do now." I think she is probably right.

We tried so many different things to get them to behave, but yelling was becoming a very regular thing in our home and I certainly didn't like that. Then a friend of mine mentioned that she was having a similar problem with her son and came up with a "good boy jar". It's really a very simple concept. Each of the boys get their own jar with their name on it. They even got to color their name in. Every time they are a good boy, they get to put a rock in the jar. When the jar is full (about 15-20 rocks) they get to pick a small prize out of the basket. The catch? Rocks can be taken away for naughty behaviour as well.

I think this is a great idea and I'm really hoping that it works for us. I would really prefer this to the chaos and yelling that we have been resorting to out of desperation. I'll report back in a few days and let you know how it's going. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

My fingers are crossed that those rocks don't break your glass jars!!

I'm sure the system will work. Let us know how it's going!