Saturday, May 1, 2010

One month

Our little girl is now one month old. I have no idea where the last month went. It is gone in a haze of diapers, "terrible two's" temper tantrums, spit up, projectile spit up, 2 a.m. feedings and a diagnosis of croup.

But I don't really remember those things very much - they are as hazy as the last month seems to be.

The things that really stick out in my mind are watching my sons turn into loving and protective Big Brothers. They want Baby Sister to go everywhere they go. They like to hold her, rock her, give her kisses and hugs, and they always need to know exactly where she is.

Juliana's first little smiles. They are awesome. Funny how something so small can make everyone jump up and dance for joy.

The cooing and gurgling. Can you believe that I actually forgot babies did this? For so long it's been the constant chattering of two year olds that filled our home, then it was newborn cries added in. When Juliana opened up her mouth and "aaaww-oooo!" came out, I was shocked. And now, much like the smiles, I spend my days trying to make her do it again.

Seeing the softer side of my husband. I'm now so used to him wrestling and rough housing with the boys, it is really nice to see him gently cradling his daughter and whispering love in her ear.

The feel of a little baby asleep on your chest is the best feeling in the world. Her little face right next to mine and her warm little body, all scrunched up in a ball. I can feel her breath on my cheek and smell that beautiful new baby smell and all is right with the world.

5 comments:

Kellie said...

You're making me baby hungry! :) I can't wait to see her - 1 month left!

Bethany said...

I can't believe she's smiling already! make her stop!!! I'm so sad. :(

Katie said...

I want to meet her! When do you guys get to come visit again?

Natalie said...

Katie - we'll hopefully be down for Thanksgiving!

Janice said...

I need to come see her. they are that little for such a short time and you captured it beautifully!