Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Graham cracker, marshmellow, and chocolate sandwich anyone?



We got a little crazy last weekend and decided to have a backyard camp out with the boys. They haven't been camping since our trip to the coast last August and that seems like a lifetime ago. So Kamaki hauled out the tent and got it all set up, under the watchful eyes of the boys.




We had a lovely BBQ dinner on the patio - the boys were thrilled to eat on their very own picnic table.





Then Kamaki built us a fire and we let the boys roast their own marshmellows for the S'mores. This was hilarious - the marshmellows ended up in the fire, in the ashes, stuck to the sides of the fire pit, or dropped on the patio. But we didn't let that stop us!




Eventually, some edible marshmellows made it onto the graham crackers and chocolate - the boys were in heaven!






Soon, it was getting dark and bedtime had arrived. I thought for sure the boys were going to be scared and want to come inside - I couldn't have been more wrong.



They spent the next hour or so gleefully jumping up and down on the air mattress and sliding around their sleeping bags, much to the chagrin of Kamaki who was trying to get them to settle down and go to sleep.





I stayed in the house with Juliana, but I could hear them giggling long into the night. They woke up the next morning already babbling about sleeping in the tent again and asked repeatedly if they could have a Graham cracker, marshmellow, and chocolate sandwich for breakfast.

I think we can call this one a success!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Their happiness is contagious through the pictures! I'm almost to giddy to go to bed myself! But it's midnight, so I have to!

Erin said...

You guys always do the funnest stuff! S'mores are my kids absolute favorite part of camping too.