
I have a confession to make - I've made brownies from scratch maybe two or three times ever. We're a brownie mix kind of family. So this week I was pretty excited to try a new, but simple recipe. I think this took us all of 10 minutes to make, start to finish - very quick and easy!
I was a little nervous though because this was also our first recipe that used the stove. I made sure the boys were very careful and they really enjoyed watching the chocolate melt.


They weren't my favorite brownies, but the ingredients were so basic (if you don't always have chocolate chips on hand, I have to strongly recommend it!) and the recipe was so simple, they will definitely scratch your chocolate itch!
Fudge Brownies*
1/4 cup of margarine or butter
1 package (6 ounces) of semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup of sugar
2/3 cup of Gold Medal all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped nuts, if you like (we did not like)
1/2 cup of semisweet chocolate chips, if you like (we did indeed like!)
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease the bottom only of a square pan, 8x8x2 inches, with shortening. (I would grease the sides as well. Found that out the hard way)
3. Heat margarine and 1 package chocolate chips in a 2 quart saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until melted; remove from heat. Stir in remaining ingredients except nuts and 1/2 cup chocolate chips real hard with a wooden spoon until smooth. (make sure you do it real hard)
4. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips. Spread in pan with a rubber scraper. (Um, rubber scraper? We used the spoon.)
5. Bake until the center is set, about 30 minutes. Let cool completely, then cut into 1 3/4 x 1 1/2 inch brownies. Store tightly covered. (First, does anyone actually let brownies cool completely before digging in? And second, who is going to get out their ruler to measure such tiny squares? Seriously?)
Makes 20 brownies. (Or 9 brownies, if you actually want more than a taste)
*Recipe taken from Gold Medal Alpha Bakery Children's Cookbook. Ordering info can be found on original Little Chefs post (A is for Apple Crisp).


2 comments:
We're for mixes, too. And I'm too cheap to buy the really good ones, so these would probably taste lovely to us!
You are such a great mama! I love the aprons - I am hoping to make some for my duo soon...
Post a Comment